Over the last year South Australia has emerged with a strengthening property market, following the footsteps of real estate rockets New South Wales and Victoria. Having experienced a couple of slow financial years, investment opportunities, particularly around Adelaide are looking bright.
The average house price in March 2017 was $443,900 in South Australia (Source: ABS 2017). The festival state is becoming popular with both renters and buyers with good affordability in the housing market and low rental rates along the South Australian.
According to LocalAgentFinder research, the properties that buyers are seeking are those with good lifestyle benefits; homes close to shopping districts, schools, and public transport are hot and in demand.
What do real estate agents charge in South Australia?
On average in South Australia, real estate agent fees are 2% for residential properties. While this depends on suburb, and to some extent depends on the type of property for sale, some general patterns in commission rates have emerged across the state.
South Australia’s capital, Adelaide, shows a lower real estate agent commission average at 1.96% compared to the state average of 2%. Country areas with slower property markets, higher prices, and fewer real estate agents often exhibit higher real estate agent fees. While lower real estate fees are shown in city areas with lively property markets and a higher competition among real estate agents.
What to consider when finding the right agent to sell your home
- The South Australian property market is showing signs of strengthening, so comparing agents to find one that knows how to take advantage of the situation could be more beneficial.
- Agents in rural South Australia on average will charge a higher commission rate than agents close to the Adelaide metro region.
- The commission that an agent charges isn’t necessarily the final cost; check which services, your agent includes in the fee, and ask what isn’t included in the fee.
Want to find out what real estate agents are charging in your area?
Discover what agents are charging in your area by comparing agents at LocalAgentFinder, including performance data, homeowner reviews, agency information, fees, commissions and more. Find out more about real estate agent fees and commissions across Australia.
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission NSW
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission VIC
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission QLD
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission ACT
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission NT
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission WA
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission TAS
To determine the average commission by state, LocalAgentFinder took the average commission of all active agents in each state respectively on 5 June 2017. This included agents with tiered and fixed commission structures based on a $500,000 selling price. The same method was applied to calculate the average commission in capital cities.
This article was updated on 28th June 2017.