The average house price in Tasmania sat at $357,000 in March 2017 (Source: ABS 2017). Hobart had the lowest median sale price out of all the capital cities, sitting just beneath Adelaide at at $420,000 in June 2017. (Source: BIS Oxford Economics)
Tasmania has never had a large population. It’s a great state to buy for lifestyle and quality of life, but isn’t the safest bet for investment properties.
What do real estate agents charge in Tasmania?
The smallest state in Australia in terms of size and population, Tasmania exhibits the highest average real estate commission fee across all states and territories. The average real estate agent fee sat over an average of 3% in June 2017.
Real estate agent fees are deregulated in Tasmania meaning that agents usually set fees based on market demand; high market demand often results in more competition among agents and lower commission rates. However, lower market activity and fewer agents operating in an area often result in higher commission rates, which is what we can see taking place in Tasmania.
When deciding on a commission fee some agents choose to use a guide of Recommended Scale of Fees and Commissions by the REIT (Real Estate Institute of Tasmania). This guide can be used by real estate agents and recommends agent fees for residential property sales.
What to consider when finding the right agent to sell your home
- Real estate agent fees don’t fluctuate greatly in Tasmania, so it is important to compare agents on other factors like experience and expertise in selling your property type when selling your home.
- Ask an agent what services are included in the commission rate, as some agents don’t include certain services like marketing in the commission fee.
Want to find out what real estate agents are charging in Tasmania?
Comparing local agents’ information is a great way to discover the average agent fee charged in your local area. If you’re thinking about selling your property, you can compare real estate agents at LocalAgentFinder, including performance data, homeowner reviews, agency information, fees, commissions and more. Find out more about real estate agent fees and commissions across Australia.
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission NSW
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission VIC
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission QLD
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission ACT
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission NT
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission WA
- Real Estate Agent Fees & Commission SA
To determine the average commission by state, LocalAgentFinder took the average commission of all active agents in each state respectively on 5 June 2017. This included agents with tiered and fixed commission structures based on a $500,000 selling price. The same method was applied to calculate the average commission in capital cities.
This article was updated on the 28th June 2017.