If you’re planning to put your property on the market, you’ll naturally want the process to go smoothly, and to come out at the other end with a good profit where possible. This quick guide on how to sell your home will explain the basic steps in the process, so that you can prepare for everything in advance and avoid any nasty surprises.
Step-by-Step Selling Your Own Home Checklist
If you’re wondering how to sell a house in general, it’s worth noting that there are slightly different ways depending on the type of sale you wish to pursue. However, there are a number of basic steps that cover nearly all bases when selling a house using a real estate agent. These are:
- Choose your agent and conveyancer or solicitor
- Decide how you wish to sell – private or auction
- Get your property looking as good as you can
- Your agent estimates the value of your property
- Arrange for a second independent estimate (this is optional, but it may be worth getting a second opinion to make sure the agent hasn’t over- or under-valued)
- Have your property photographed (most agents will do this for you)
- Prepare for viewings OR auction
- Accept or decline offers OR await outcome of auction
- Complete paperwork and exchange contracts
Best Way To Sell Your House: Private Sale Or Auction?
The best way to sell your house depends on your own specific circumstances and preferences. If you need the process to move quickly, you might prefer to take the auction route. If you want a little room for negotiation and time to consider more offers, private sale may be a better approach.
Tips To Sell Your House Quickly
The quickest approach is usually via auction, although there is no guarantee that your property will sell on the day. If you’d prefer to go down the private route, you’ll be able to make the process go quicker if you are able to respond to enquiries and requests for information as quickly and thoroughly as you can.
Be flexible with times for viewings, have all paperwork complete and ready to go, and be prepared to move out at the top of a hat! You can also share information about your property on local listings, social media and among friends and family while your agent undertakes their own property advertisement strategies.
How/blog/advertising-costs To Sell My House – 12 Steps Checklist
Some homeowners choose to manage the process themselves in order to save on commission fees. However, this approach can become complex, and will take a lot of time and effort. To help you manage the process, you can draw up a “selling your own home checklist“, which should go a little like this:
- Find the best platform (take a look at reviews to help you)
- Rejuvenate your property
- Get an independent valuation – or even two for a clear asking price indication
- Collect all relevant paperwork
- Find a solicitor
- Get great photographs taken – include a video walkthrough if possible
- Register your property for sale
- Prepare to respond quickly to potential buyers
- Arrange viewings if preferred
- Negotiate a deal
- Correspond with your solicitor throughout the process
- Exchange contracts
We recommend speaking to a real estate agent before selling your own home. Agents are experts in all of the above activities and have the experience behind them to ensure your home is sold with the best possible outcome.
Finding The Best Real Estate Agent To Sell Your House
The most effective way of selling a property for the right price and at the right speed is by carefully selecting the right real estate agent.
Use LocalAgentFinder’s comparison platform – which is free to homeowners – to quickly track down the top service providers in your area and decide which will best meet your needs. By reading agent reviews and checking out their track records, you’ll be able to find the perfect specialist who’ll know how to sell a house in QLD or anywhere else in Australia, in no time.